Important information about Hurricane Florence
Attention First Choice by Select Health of South Carolina members and providers:
Due to the impending arrival of Hurricane Florence and South Carolina Governor McMaster’s call for an evacuation, the First Choice headquarters in North Charleston will close at noon on Tuesday, September 11, 2018, until further notice. The First Choice Community Center in Columbia will also close to the public effective noon on Tuesday, September 11, 2018, until further notice.
Offices and staff in unaffected regions as well as the Nurse Call Line will be available to assist plan members with urgent needs. The Nurse Call Line is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 1-800-304-5436. If you have an emergency, please dial 911.
If you are trying to reach us by phone, you may experience longer than usual hold times. Please know your call is important and we thank you for your patience.
It is important to note that normal prior authorization requirements for medical and pharmacy services will be relaxed until further notice to ensure member needs are met:
- Members may refill their regular medications earlier than usual to ensure a sufficient supply.
- Members may receive a temporary, five-day supply of medications that normally require prior authorization.
- Members traveling out of state may fill their medications by showing their First Choice member identification card at any retail pharmacy.
- Essential medical supplies and equipment for those members impacted by the storm will be approved by the plan, as needed.
- Use of out-of-network and/or out-of-state providers will be allowed for medically necessary services.
- Providers, please note that administrative denials for late notification will be waived at this time.
- Medically necessary emergency care will be covered. If you are having an emergency, please call 911 or seek medical attention immediately.
We will provide further information and updates, as they become available.
Important numbers and resources
Members needing assistance, please call:
- First Choice Member Services at 1-888-276-2020 (TTY 1-888-765-9586)
- 24/7 Nurse Call Line at 1-800-304-5436
Providers needing assistance, please call:
- 1-888-559-1010 for Utilization Management or Authorizations
- 1-866-368-4562 for Utilization Management fax line
- 1-888-276-2020 for Member Eligibility
For the latest information on Hurricane Irma, visit the South Carolina Emergency Management Division.
Health Empowerment Tour Postponed
The Health Empowerment Tour that was originally scheduled for Saturday, September 15, 2018 at Clinton College in Rock Hill has been postponed. A new date will be announced as soon as possible.