Flu season usually starts in November and lasts through early March. First Choice is always here to help keep you from catching the bug. The best way to protect yourself against the flu is to get a flu shot each year.
Who should get a flu shot
Everyone 6 months and older should get a flu shot. It is important for you to get a flu shot every year.
You should be first in line for the flu shot if you:
- Are pregnant
- Are a child between the ages of 6 months and 5 years old
- Are a caregiver of a child less than 6 months old
- Are older than 50 years old
- Live in a nursing home
- Have a chronic medical condition
- Have conditions that can cause breathing problems
Scheduling a flu shot
Call your doctor to make an appointment for your flu shot. The flu shot is no cost for members at most family doctor offices. Remember, you cannot catch the flu from the flu shot. Each flu shot is good for only one year.
You can call Member Services 1-888-276-2020 for more information about the flu shot.